The Practical Nursing program at Tennessee College of Applied Technology - Dickson prepares students to become contributing members of the healthcare team. The course includes classroom lecture, laboratory, and clinical practice. Students study Nursing Fundamentals and related subjects such as Anatomy & Physiology, Nutrition, Medical-Surgical Nursing, Pharmacology, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, and Mental Health. Clinical experiences allow care of medical, surgical, obstetric, and pediatric patients in a supervised environment. Graduates are prepared using a curriculum approved by the Tennessee Board of Nursing and are eligible to apply for licensure by an examination developed by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCLEX-PN).
TCAT Dickson does not have a Nursing Assistant program. Practical Nursing students are eligible to receive a Nurse Aid certificate upon successful completion of all first trimester coursework. If the student wishes to become a Certified Nursing Assistant, he/she would need to apply for certification through the state regulatory board.
|Typical Program Length
Class Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8am – 2:30pm
Clinical Hours: Vary depending on clinical site availability
New Classes Start
|Deadline to apply
*All start dates are dependent on sufficient enrollment.
To be considered for admission, please complete the following steps:
- Online Application by clicking “Apply Now”
- Official High School Transcript or Equivalent
- Official transcript must be mailed directly from your school system to TCAT Dickson, Attn: Sherry Bowman. Electronic submission of transcripts must be from Parchment.com or National Student Clearinghouse to be considered official. We DO NOT accept emailed transcripts.
- Foreign Transcripts will require translation and evaluation from a credentialing service to verify equivalent to a US high school diploma. It is the applicant’s responsibility to obtain appropriate credential verification.
- Proof of Immunity to MMR and Varicella
- Applicants must provide proof of two doses of each immunization or positive titer levels.
- HESI A2 Entrance Exam
- A minimum score of 70 in both math and reading sections. HESI scores are valid for 2 years. Retesting may be allowed once per term and must be a minimum of 30 days after the prior test.
- If you test at a testing center other than TCAT Dickson or Clarksville, please have the testing facility email Sherry.Bowman@tcatdickson.edu with your official scores.
- Achieving the minimum scores on the HESI A2 exam does not guarantee admission. Admission to the Practical Nursing Program is highly competitive, and only a select number of students are enrolled in each class.
Nursing applicants with a complete application are ranked based on scores on the entrance exam.
*Additional documentation will be required following acceptance into the program to meet clinical approval.
All dates have passed for this application period. Please contact Sherry Bowman for information.
HESI A2 Testing Dates:
Dickson Campus 9am: February 22 and 27
Clarksville Campus 9:30am: February 23 and 28
HESI testing slots are limited. To reserve a seat for testing, stop by our campus and pay the $40 exam fee in cash. The HESI test fee is nonrefundable. Please arrive early for the HESI exam. Testing begins promptly at the scheduled time. There will be no late admittance.
Applicants may utilize the HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review ISBN: 9780323582261 as a study guide.
Click here to request official HESI scores from the Elsevier Website.
The local Adult Education/Workforce Essentials offices in Dickson and Clarksville/Montgomery County offer free assistance with preparation.
For more information, please contact Stephanie Murphy, Director of Nursing and Health Careers, at 615-441-6220 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Sherry Bowman, Health Careers Student Enrollment, at 615-441-6222 or email@example.com.
For more information on TCAT to Community College Articulation agreements, click the links below:
135 International Blvd
Clarksville, TN 37040
1228 Liberty Pike
Franklin, TN 37067
740 Highway 46 South
Dickson, TN 37055